Thursday, March 21, 2013

Sweet Potato Chews - for furbabies.



A couple of weeks ago, I read a fabo article about homemade doggie treats and it really opened my eyes to all the possibilities out there - not only could I save a buck or two, I could also give my babies some tasty treats that would be kind to their tummies.  

The first treat I made for my bunch was the homemade frozen treats (aka, Ice Cream).  They went nutso for it!  I've made it several times since that post and they've come to expect a nice refreshing treat in the afternoons after play time.  

These Sweet Potato Chews are even easier than the frozen treats because it contains only ONE ingredient!  A sweet potato.  That's it.  

Your babies will love it!  Want to make it?  Here you go...

How It's Done


Slice it sort of thin and layer on baking sheet.


The first time I attempted this, I used a chef's butcher knife for my slices.  It worked okay but most of my slices were uneven.  The sweet potato is really hard and dragging a knife through it almost killed my wrist.  <sighs dramatically>  This time, I implemented a wonderful little contraption called a Mandoline.  This thing is awesome!!  I was looking for things to slice - super easy.  


Place in 200 degree oven and let bake for 4-5 hours depending on how your oven performs. Your dog may like their treats a little more soft, if this is the case, then lessen the cook time. Essentially, you are drying the slices of potato until they resemble a chew, or jerky.


Mine were done after about 5 hours.  



After getting them out of the oven, I usually place on a cooling rack for a few minutes, then place on a plate, covered loosely with a paper towel.  The next day, just pop in a ziptop bag to keep fresh.  I'm honestly not sure how long they keep since ours are gone pretty quick.  But, I have learned to make a butt-load of these at one time now...  And just so you know, one or two potatoes is plenty for a one dog family for a week.


Emmy is always the first one wanting a bite.  Here she is waiting on me to finish snapping pics so she can eat!  





No comments:

Post a Comment