Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Make At Home - Healthy Doggie Treats


I don't know if you know this about me but my family raises and breeds shih-tzu's.  Currently, we have 6 and keeping them happy and content with treats and goodies can be quite expensive.  

Since we are changing our eating habits, going more au-natural and choosing a more plant based diet, I wondered if I could whip up something that my fur-babies would love that would be more beneficial to them.  

I wondered around pinterest and searched on google and found some really great dog snacks but nothing I thought my babies would enjoy.  They really love cold stuff and sharing a bowl of ice cream with Mr. Wonderful in the evenings is kinda their thing.  Because we've been raising dogs for years, I know that they can tolerate honey, peanut butter and yogurt and a quick call to Dr. Doug (our most wonderful Vet) gave me the idea of bananas.

After that, it was simple enough.  


You want to use bananas that are very ripe and somewhat mushy. 

2 Mashed bananas
2 Tbsp. honey
2 Tbsp. peanut butter 
Big container of plain yogurt.





You can use just about anything to freeze your portions.  These portions are big enough for me to split each container into 2 servings (my babies have little mouths.)  :)  I think next time I may use the small paper cups and put Popsicle sticks in them - you know, like mini-furbaby Popsicles! 

Surely I don't have to remind anyone using the paper cup idea that they to remove the paper before giving to Fido.

As you've probably noticed, these are completely edible so if you think you would enjoy a frozen yogurt snack, you can change up the recipe.  I haven't tasted these yet - my aversion to bananas is winning out and I just can't bring myself to trying it.  But, Mr. Wonderful has agreed to eat one later this evening so I'll report back and let you know what he thinks!  

If you try this or have a similar recipe, please comment!  I'd love to hear your thoughts and ideas!  

Happy Whisking!


No comments:

Post a Comment