Sunday, February 24, 2013

DIY Mini Greenhouses


I don't know about you but I absolutely growing things.  I love having my hands in dirt and planting seeds - knowing that if I nurture them, they will grow into abundance for me and my family.  No matter if it's veggies for canning or flowers to grace our kitchen table - everything God has made is for us, for our benefit and it makes my heart truly happy to take part in that in gracious gift.

I've learned a lot through trial and error.  First, I just grabbed some seeds and threw them into a pot and covered with soil.  I did nothing else.  Needless to say, I didn't have much luck - only about 25% of the seeds I'd planted germinated.  So, I fired up Google and went searching.

I found a ton of great information and indoor greenhouses but  they were quite expensive.  I knew what I needed so I went on a creative hunt in my house and shed to see what I could come up with and within an hour, I had everything I would need for not one, but several makeshift mini greenhouses that cost me nothing to make.  But, if you don't already have the supplies on hand, it won't cost you much at all to get started.

Here's what you need

1.  Pots

Keep in mind that you can use absolutely anything to start seeds in.  You can use the bottom half of milk jugs or soda bottles, you can use terracotta planters or galvanized washtubs, even plastic buckets will do.  The pots that are in the picture at the top are the kind that can be planted right into the soil.  I'd bought several of these last year on sale.  These are great to use because there's no worry of disturbing the roots for transplanting.  My favorite pot to use for seed starting uses the Do-It-Yourself Plant PotMaker here.  You use strips of newspaper for your pots and can be planted directly into the soil since newspaper is completely biodegradable.


2.  Seeds & Soil

Seeds are important.  If you want to re-plant seeds for another growing season from the flower or vegetable that you are planting, you will need to purchase Heirloom Seeds.  Seeds that are not classified as Heirloom Seeds will not produce seeds that can be replanted.  My favorite Heirloom Seed companies are Baker's Creek, Territorial Seed Co., and High Mowing Organic.
I always use a seed starting soil for seed starting.  The soil is a little lighter and the seeds have an easier time rooting.

3.  Sandwich Bags

These are what I use to tent the top of my little pots.  

4.  Light

Any kind will do.  I use a couple of lamps on my buffet table.  :)

How to begin

Simply put, all you need to do is fill your pots with seed starting soil.  Plant your seeds.  For teeny tiny seeds like carrots, just barely cover with soil.

Spritz with water and top with a sandwich bag.  I place my pots on a big sheet pan and pour a little water on the pan.  The water sucks up through the pot to prepare the soil for germination.  Place this pan with your planted pots under a couple of lamps or drop lights.  You can even use a couple of clamp desk lamps.  Within a couple of hours, you should start to see the humidity building up within the tents.  

I leave mine under lights for about 12 or 16 hours a day until transplanting.  Once the true leaves appear (true leaves are NOT the first leaves to appear on most plants.), start bringing them outside during the day to acclimate to the weather and temp change.

If you find that your seeds need additional warmth while germinating, a quick tip is to get a heating pad - any old heating pad will do - and wrap in a garbage bag.  Place underneath the sheet pan and turn on to medium heat.  This will warm the soil and cause easy germination for warm loving plants.



No comments:

Post a Comment